Types of Online Casino in Norway
If you choose a country according to the gambling situation then Norway is not what you are looking for. On paper, the situation looks terrible and even catastrophic. Currently, there are only 2 licensed websites: the Norsk Riskoto is for sports betting while Norsk Tipping offers sports bets, different scratch cards, keno, and different variations of poker. Thanks to the Internet, Norwegian players gained access to foreign platforms filled with slot machines, live dealers, and even progressive slots with huge payouts. Hundreds of virtual casinos from different countries are glad to see Norwegians among their customers.
So, this situation is very popular in 2019. Many countries sign laws banning gambling on the Internet, but they do not monitor their implementation. Therefore, Norwegian gamers visit dozens of sites with the best games where they win real money and relax after work. Did you know that all Norwegian casinos are divided into 4 parts?
- The site itself provides players with all the necessary information;
- The casino itself where you place bets and win/lose real money;
- Cash desk where players perform financial transactions;
- A casino server is the most secret part of the club because it hides all information about customers, their actions and so on.
This is the structure of any gaming room on the Internet. Also, each online casino is presented in different variations. For example, flash platforms run in any browser providing a high-quality and smooth gaming session. The second option includes platforms that offer users to download and install the software. So, the Norwegian player needs to find the casino icon on the PC and click it. Game halls of the first type allow you to play on any PC anywhere in Norway. The disadvantages include a long download, especially if you have a low internet connection.
There are still live casinos offering only board games. In such clubs, you will find everything that you get in offline casinos. First of all, it is an amazing atmosphere and new sensations when you meet a real dealer face to face. Broadcasting is always conducted from an equipped studio where tables and croupiers are located.
Some websites available to Norwegian players offer Bitcoin as a deposit method. This is a great solution for those who want to remain anonymous, get the highest level of protection with instant transactions. As you can see, players from Norway have a wide selection and they can play in the best casinos that we recommend on our website. Each portal has been tested on several points including license, portfolio, customer support, and bonuses of course.
Types of Casino Games for Gamblers in Norway
With full control over the gambling business, Norsk Tipping can change its forms and establish new rules. So, the company decided to replace the slot machines by offering MULTIX slots which are limited and regulated. Norwegian variations of popular slot machines are only allowed for gamers over 18 years old. Besides, you must have an ID, a player account, and a credit card since these slots do not work with cash in Norway. Also, they monitor the budgets of players so you can not lose $75+ per day (no more than $400 per month). After the hourly session, the participant will be offered a one-hour break. Limits on bets and winnings are also set: a max bet in Norway is $10 and payouts do not exceed $300. As the creator of Norwegian slots, Norsk Tipping Company reserves the right to store such customer information:
- ID card/address/age/phone number/gender;
- Session Date;
- The number of tickets purchased;
- Number of prizes;
- How much time has passed since your last session;
- Where the player bought the tickets;
- How much money a player won/lost.
These days, in Norway there are at least 1,200 places where gamers buy tickets and win real money. Together they offer 2500+ Multix slots with the restrictions/rules above. However, local players are fans of foreign providers like NetEnt and IGT. Below are the most popular video slots according to the Norwegians:
- . This is a NetEnt’s project with 5 reels and 20 paylines. Its arsenal includes several special characters, three-level progressive jackpot, and free spins that provide additional benefits.
- . In this video slot, the development team from IGT implemented a fun storyline supplemented with special characters and a bonus mini-game.
- Thanks to the Triple Red Hot 777 IGT slot, the company has achieved great success in virtual gambling. This is a model with 3 reels and 5 paylines supplemented by Wild, free spins + multiplier, and high payouts.
- . The original online slot dedicated to cats offers 5 reels and 30 paylines. In addition to the original plot, IGT has added advanced gameplay and a couple of bonus options.
- is one of the most generous models in the IGT portfolio. Equipped with 5 reels and 30 fixed lines, the emulator has become popular in Norway thanks to Roller Coaster Wild options, free spins, and other features that will increase your bankroll.
On the one hand, the Norwegian government sets strict rules for the development of gambling. But on the other hand, they are not always respected. As a result, Norway boasts its studios that develop gambling content for local platforms. Founded in 1993, Funcom is the most popular Norwegian provider which has released 25+ models including hits such as The Longest Journey series, Anarchy Online, and MMORPG Age of Conan.
Online Gambling Laws and Regulations in Norway
So, we found out that the gambling industry is strictly regulated in Norway. The activities of all gaming halls and other such institutions are regulated by three main acts including the Totalisator Act (1927); the Gaming Act (1992); the Lottery Act (1995). Thanks to these laws, the two large Norwegian companies Norsk Rikstoto and Norsk Tipping received the right to conduct all gambling on land and the Internet. Private operators always have the opportunity to obtain a Norwegian license, but this rarely happens. Accordingly, the current laws in Norway prohibit the holding of such games without a license. Surprisingly, no one forbids local players from visiting unlicensed platforms. This is not a crime; therefore this type of entertainment is quite popular in the country.
Norwegians under 18 can only buy scratch cards. Other types of gambling are prohibited for such users.
- In 2019, Norway’s gambling business is controlled by 4 authorities: Norwegian Gaming Authority monitors private operators. Besides, it issues licenses and monitors compliance with the rules. If an agreement has been violated this document is cancelled. Accordingly, fines and penalties are imposed on the operator following applicable law.
- Lotteries are in the hands of the Ministry of Culture. Sometimes this official authority establishes general gambling instructions in Norway.
- The Ministry of Agriculture follows the on sweepstakes law by setting some instructions/rules for Norwegian gambling.
- The Lottery Committee is a separate official body. It serves as a court of appeal for the review of administrative decisions under the relevant lottery laws in Norway.
As we have already said, most of the gambling market in this country is a monopoly of 2 large companies. However, local and foreign operators can apply for a Norwegian lottery license. In this case, licensing takes place in accordance with the On the lottery law, offering operators the following activities in the country:
- Lottery pre-authorization authorized and provided by the Norwegian gambling centre;
- Organization of not only lotteries but also poker tournaments. Within 12 months you can hold several tournaments on 3 types of poker in Norway.
- Slot machines on cruise ships (very popular in Norway);
- Scratch cards.
The list of non-licensed activities is presented by the following items:
- All lotteries with an annual turnover of at least 200,000 NOK if the operator does not pursue commercial goals. If the lottery is organized by commercial companies then they cannot work without a Norwegian license.
- Bazaar with a jackpot of 8,000 NOK. The maximum bet should not exceed 5 NOK while the sum of all winnings is set to 40,000 NOK;
- Private poker tournaments held in clubs where participants are not professionals. This entertainment is limited by several indicators: the number of players is at least 10, the age of the participant is at least 18 y.o., and the maximum bet does not exceed 1,000 NOK.
How long is the application processing? The verification process is 3 months and its cost/ duration depends on the services that the operator is going to provide:
- A lottery license (compiled by the Norwegian gambling center) will cost about 3,000 NOK and will be valid for 12 months.
- Lottery draws from a commercial operator cost 30,000 NOK plus you have to pay a fee of 20,000 NOK. In return, you are entitled to a valid license for the next 9 years.
- The price of poker tournaments has been reduced to 10,000 NOK but the cost of additional fees is 60,000 NOK. You can work under this license for 36 years.
- Bingo costs 1,250 NOK while the price of scratch cards is 6,000 NOK.
Before sending an application for one of these licenses, the operator should study all the nuances. So, you can spend a lot of money and not get anything. Virtual gambling is not distinguished by loyal rules. Its activities without a Norwegian license are completely prohibited. At the moment, the right to conduct gambling in the virtual world belongs to two Norwegian companies and you know their names. The website norsk-tipping.no/kongkasino is the most popular among Norwegian gamers as it is the first online casino resource that appeared in this country. This and other websites are subject to strict laws/regulations. Therefore, Norwegian gamers are frequent customers of foreign platforms and sites that don’t have licenses.
Best Deposit Methods for Gamblers in Norway
Gamblers based in Norway offers a variety of payment instruments for fast and secure transactions in various virtual casinos. Surely, they may differ on different websites, but you will always find them in a special section called Cashier. Typically, players choose the same instrument for both deposits and withdrawals. So, they do not need to spend a lot of money and learn new rules. This list offers popular Visa/MasterCard and alternative methods like checks, virtual wallets, and banking. All these solutions are often used by Norwegian users as they are quite safe and convenient.
Usually, fraudulent websites in Norway are limited to several payment methods that are rarely used in Norway, the UK, and other European countries. According to official figures, more than half of Norwegians use credit cards on the Internet. In the online casino, the gamer must indicate all the necessary information including the card number and its expiration date. Some Norwegian gambling clubs request verification to make sure that you have received money legally and that you are not using this casino for fraudulent purposes. As a rule, withdrawal applications are processed within 3-5 days, but some payment systems process applications instantly.
Banking is the safest but at the same time, it takes the most time. Norwegian bank employees must check all details before a player receives winnings. For this reason, banks process transactions for a rather long time (about 2 weeks). To compensate for this shortcoming, a financial institution guarantees 100% security.
E-wallets are another payment tool in the Norwegian gaming halls. Skrill, Neteller, Euteller and other wallets carry out all types of transactions, so you can deposit/withdraw funds at any time. Applications are processed instantly and you do not need to wait for donkey’s years. Sometimes the service asks the customer to pay a fee.
In any case, you will need to pass a check before the withdrawal. Some say it’s a hoax and the casino just plays for time. The check takes about 3-5 days, and this time is enough for gamers to cancel the operation and lose this money. In fact, verification is designed to increase security because the club wants to make sure that this is your account and scammers are not trying to access your bankroll.
Accepted Currencies in Norway
In 2019, Norway is still not part of the European Union, therefore it uses its own currency with a long history. The first banknote appeared in Norway very early and it became popular. Later, Norwegian coins appeared in other countries that accepted them as a national currency. These coins were made only of precious metals and had creative patterns. Their popularity led to the emergence of hundreds of mints across the country which led to monetary chaos. To establish currency control, the Norwegian government took appropriate measures by approving a single sample of national coins. New changes were successful in Norway. New banknotes became very popular therefore the government managed to restore the country’s economy quite quickly.
Thanks to complex patterns, the new currency limited the possibilities of scammers who could not fake banknotes. Modern Norwegian money differs in face value, patterns, and colour schemes. Furthermore, it is often used in gaming halls and lotteries. If you want to play on a foreign site, then you will need to purchase a different currency: pounds sterling (for British online casinos); Euro or dollars. Currency exchange is not complicated and it is offered in many clubs/payment systems. Also, some of them use Bitcoin, which has become a very popular trend. Digital coins provide anonymity, a high level of security, as well as, fast/free transactions.
Predictions About the Future of Online Gambling in Norway
The first gambling appeared in Norway a long time ago, but despite this fact, gambling with a trance is strictly regulated today. There are several permitted forms of gambling but all of them are limited by rules, payments, and other criteria. We have said many times that the Norwegian market is essentially a monopoly of two large companies, Norsk Rikstoto/Norsk Tipping. They are not focused on the casino since they organize different races, keno, and bingo. These days, offline casinos do not function in Norway and the government is not going to change the rules. MULTIX slots are presented in 1200+ clubs open for players over 18.
For many Norwegian gamblers, UK virtual casinos are the best solution. Such platforms are holders of one or more licenses guaranteeing fair play and various bonuses. Furthermore, they provide many slots and tables so you can play for real money.
Nevertheless, there are positive changes. 30 years ago, gambling was considered something terrible in Norway and today this country takes the 3rd place (among European countries) in the development of gambling. Regulators had intentions to block foreign virtual casinos but they were forced to abandon this idea due to the negative reaction of local players. In any case, the Norwegian gambling market shows good results even despite an increase in the number of addicted players.